Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Mission

At a young ago I was around special needs children due to my aunt's occupation. I loved to help her decorate her classroom, cut out things that were laminated, and I loved to watch her work. She was (and still is) an inspiration to me of someone who loves special needs children, and goes out of her way daily to help them. I know that she spends countless hours preparing lesson plans and activities for these kids.
As I got a little older, I felt called to teach ASD children dance. I began doing research on the benefits. Most of all a deep love for those on the spectrum was instilled in me.
Then one day, my own child was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. From the moment we received the diagnosis, I knew my Heavenly Father had a greater plan for me. I knew that he wanted me to do something with this. Until recently, I wasn't sure what. I'm still not sure exactly where this will go, but what I do know is that I am trying to put some resources in my community. I want to see play and support groups. I want to see a safe place for parents to go when they need to vent. I want a place to share tears, fears, and success. A place for parents of special needs kids to not feel afraid! That's what I want. That is my goal. I hope that what I have in the works (with the help of a new a friend) will make a difference. I'm excited to update on this over the coming months. I'm so grateful that my Heavenly Father gave me the examples and experiences early on to prepare me for this mission. He knew all along that I would need them. He knew the greater plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment