Monday, June 30, 2014

Our One Year Mark

Friday marked the day our lives forever changed. I spent the weekend thinking about how far our family has come, how far Liz has come, but most of all how far I have come. A year ago, I was breaking down into tears randomly, I was angry with God, and I wanted our pre diagnosis life back. I was really struggling with accepting that a diagnosis did not change my child. I was on my way to learning that a diagnosis had simply opened up an entire new world for my child and our family.
The last year, has been full of trials and difficulty, but it has also been the best year of my life. I have met such amazing people, I have been able to reach out and help others, to learn who my daughter truly is, and to learn a thing or two about myself. This is not the easiest way to travel through life, but it is worth it. It is worth every smile and every tear. It is simply worth it!
Over the past year, I ahve had the oppurtunity to learn so much about my Lizzybug. I will never forget our first OT appointment with Liz. It was so amazing to finally see what she was capable of. I felt like that first OT appointment opened Liz up to so many things. And while she was opening up, I was,too. I was able to slowly let go of my feelings of resentment, and to slowly embrace her diagnosis. It was like I was truly seeing my child for the first time.
I feel honored and blessed to be a mother to this child. I don't know how I got lucky enough to lead this sweet spirit through this world. She has taught me more in the past 5 years than I have learned my entire life. I love my bug!

No comments:

Post a Comment