Monday, September 8, 2014

Don't Fear the Label, Embrace It!

It's 2014,  and we still live in a society that fears "labels." Instead of viewing labels as a way to better understand a person, we see labels as something bad. In reality,  labels help us unlock potential in those who possess them. It wasn't until Liz began OT that I truly saw how incredible her mind was. Her label unlocked OT for us.

I won't lie.  After we received our referral to have Liz evaluated for autism, it took me a few months to even call and make the appointment.  I struggled with accepting that something could be wrong with my child. One day, I realized my child was not happy,  and neither was I. That was a major turning point for me. I realized I had to do something. 

To all the parents out there who know something is off, but you aren't sure whether you want to label your child, I promise it will be the best thing you ever do for your child. Don't be scared of the label. You will soon realize what a remarkable and amazing thing that label is. It will open up so many doors for your child.  It will make things easier for you. Just take the leap and do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment