Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Closing Out Autism Awareness Month

This month I have spent a lot of time thinking about where we are now compared to a year ago. A year ago, we were still waiting on an appointment for a diagnosis. I felt like everything was falling apart. We were afraid of the uncertainty. Monday, Liz had a well visit. Her doctor was amazed at how far she had come just since October. Liz is offically in the 10th percentile (the highest we ever been) for weight! She has also grown 1.5 inches since October. Her doctor was amazed at how much her speech and behaviour had progressed in that time period.
I know sometimes it is harder for my husband and I to notice improvement because we are around her all the time, but I do know she has taken some major steps the last few months. I am so proud of everything that she has done to move forward. A lot of work and tears have gone into getting her where she is, but she is getting so much closer to where she needs to be.
Even though April is ending my family will continue to raise awareness all year long. Autism never sleeps in this house. We will continue to teach others how to lovingly accept our child. I am so glad we had the chance to "Light it up Blue" this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment