Thursday, March 27, 2014

An Invitation

Today new numbers were released. Autism is now up 30% to 1 in 68. These numbers are incredibly high. In 2012 the numbers were 1 in 88. The rate has continued to increase over time. My biggest concern is that we do not have enough resources for all these children being diagnosed. And what about when the kids become adults? Who is going to take care of those who needs constant care? What are these kids going to do for work? Are colleges going to be equipped for them? These are questions that WE have to bring attention to. I am just one mom, but I know that I can make a difference. If everyone would come together, and raise their voice, call attention to this issue, then we could all make a much bigger difference.

I know people thing autism awareness is silly because they think everyone knows about autism. They may know that autism exist, but they may not know how many kids it affects, how it affects them, or even that there's a significant lack of resources. When Bug was diagnosed, I knew what autism was, but I had no clue how scarce the resources were until I was thrown into that situation. Suddenly, I was facing an uncertain future for my daughter, and I did not know what to do. It wasn't until I began reaching out to people who knew that I found resources.

Which leads me to another pressing issue. We wasted months after we got her diagnosis. Precious months that we will never get back. Why? Because I had no clue what to do after her diagnosis. I didn't know where to go for treatment. I didn't know that occupational therapy would be beneficial for. I was completely clueless. We need to make an effort to fill the gap between diagnosis and treatment. That gap is time that we can never get back, time she could have been getting treatment.

Don't even get me started on insurance coverage. So many ASD families are paying for treatment completely out of pocket because it is not required to be covered. So many families mortgage their homes, take up second jobs, and sell things just to give their child the best chance that they possibly can.

So I am asking everyone to Light It Up Blue next month. Out out your Christmas Lights, change your porch light, change your profile picture on facebook, do whatever it takes. These kids (and adults) need us to all come together to raise awareness. If we don't do it, who will? I have only listed a few reasons why this is so important. I could go on. Please take up my invitation. I will be posting pictures next month of my home and any others who email me pictures, and take up our invitation. If you don't feel comfortable posting a photo of your home how about a photo of your family in blue? Your dog in blue? Be creative, and help me raise awareness.

                                                   And who can say no to these cute faces?


No comments:

Post a Comment